where the cornflakes are

this blog may appear to be experiencing an on-going existential crisis - it isn't quite sure whether it's about knitting, crip stuff or life in general

Monday, October 17, 2005

My Mum... a Melbourne icon

mum 004

Ok, so maybe she's not my "real" mum, but I'm quite attached to her anyway. She's been a fixture on Brunswick St for as long as I've lived in Melbourne. My mate Beth once decided to call her my mum, on account of her being a wheely crip too, and it kind of stuck. So she's become a meeting place for my friends, whether I'm actually involved in the occasion or not. "Meet you at Stell's Mum," instead of "Meet you on the corner". It's just part of our vocabulary now.

Wandering past on Saturday I noticed that she's holding a CLOSING DOWN sign. My poor Mum is being made redundant. I didn't realise how attached I was to her until now. She's such a groovy chick, despite being made entirely of some sort of plastic or metal. Her outfits and hairstyles change regularly, despite the fact that she doesn't even belong to a clothing store (they sell sheet and towels and stuff). She makes a handy meeting spot. I reckon she even provides some subtle disability awareness hanging out on her corner.

I don't know what's going to happen to her when the shop closes. Becca suggested I might be able to buy her. But I fear it would never be the same. "Meeting at my Mum" would actually just be coming over to my place, not hanging out in cool cafes and shopping for slightly over-priced vintage clothing. And besides, where on earth would I put her?

Farewell Mum... thanks for the good times!

10 Comments:

At 11:41 pm, Blogger marmiteboy said...

Cool. I want her. I could sit her in the front seat of my car on long trips and chat to her about the world..

I'll get me coat..;-)

 
At 10:10 am, Blogger Lady Bracknell said...

At least she wouldn't steam up the car windows by inconsiderately indulging in breathing.

So Master Marmite wouldn't have to take her to task for this crime, as he did his last two lady passengers... ;-)

 
At 2:56 am, Blogger marmiteboy said...

And I'm still deeply wounded by Auntie J's accusation that I don't usually have living breathing women in my car. However true it might be ;-)

 
At 2:48 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Stell,
Long time no see.
What's new in your world? Here it's just the same ole same ole. It's our 18th wedding anniversary today! Weird aren't we?
Say hi to your Mum for me!
Love,
Leis xxx

 
At 12:42 am, Blogger pete said...

Hi Stella,
First time on yer lovely board, it's great!

Have you seen this blog?
http://youknitwhat.blogspot.com/

 
At 4:34 am, Blogger Katie said...

Hi stella, I came across this blog while searching on Marmiteboy's blog, I'm katie aka AbleGirl from Ouch!

I love your post about the shop with the model in the wheelchair outside that you call "Mum". Why not go inside the shop and ask if you can have her as they are shutting down? Then by having her you can always have her around.

 
At 1:51 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, great blog! Keep it up.

I have a web site. It pretty much covers hispanic baby name related stuff.
Come and have a look if you get time :-)

 
At 9:30 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sydney is a friendly phone sex recording city where it doesn�t matter where you come from.
We are all Australians together. phone sex recording

 
At 9:11 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hat das jetzt deine künstlerische ader ausgedrückt? was ist der sinn dahinter?

 
At 9:11 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does your mum need any wheelchair ramps to get into her car? Or ramp plans to build a ramp to her front door?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home