where the cornflakes are

this blog may appear to be experiencing an on-going existential crisis - it isn't quite sure whether it's about knitting, crip stuff or life in general

Monday, April 03, 2006

I'd rather just break coffee cups and promises

Ok so I know I've never been the best and most regular blogger in the world, so it's not like you guys expect amazing things from me anyway. However this time my leave of absence comes with a semi-valid excuse.

To cut a long story short, I slipped off my shower bench and broke six bones. The box I put my feet on was on a slightly weird angle because I'd dropped a bottle of shampoo between it and the wall. Combined with my slightly alcohol-impaired co-ordination at the time, I put weight on it the wrong way, it flipped over and slipped under the bench and I fell on my arse in a rather undignified fashion. There is no elegant way to do that.

I hit my head really hard, so memories of how I got up are a bit foggy. The gaps probably have something to do with the alcohol too. Whoops! I'd like to think I was rescued by my handsome Spanish neighbour. Unfortunately I think the more likely scenario involves me squirming out from under the bench, up onto my footplates and into my chair, something I wouldn't normally attempt under the best of circumstances. It's amazing what your body can do when it's an absolute emergency.

Turns out, I'd broken two ribs, two vertabrae, a finger and my coccyx bone. Nasty. At least the letter from the Radiologist gave me some amusement. It read - "Examination is difficult due to the gross and complex deformities attributed to Osteogenesis Imperfecta. There is a marked thoracic convexivity to the right and the lumbar convexivity to the left. The bones are deformed, osteporotic and hypoplastic throughout. In the lumbar spine there is mild loss of vertebral body height centrally involving all lumbar vertabral bodies. The pelvic bones are grossly deformed with gross flattening of the pelvic cavity. Conclusion: There are gross deformities of Osteogenesis Imperfecta."

In English I think that means that my bones are a bit fucked, and I'm er, gross, I suppose. Doctors are such charmers aren't they?

5 Comments:

At 8:17 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Stella, thank god for adrenalin! It seems that's the main thing that got you back into your chair! I'm really sorry to hear about your fall, you poor bugger. Hope your pains go quickly, as quickly as they arrived.

 
At 5:24 pm, Blogger marmiteboy said...

Hi Stell,

You have been in the wars mate, hope you aren't in too much pain and have got over your 'grossness'.

I'll be in e-mail contact again soon. I've got quite a bit to tell you. Things have changed a bit in the world of Marmite.

Keep well

MB xxxx

 
At 8:33 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All doctors are dickheads when it comes to saying things that are so totally inappropriate.
Bugger them! I think you are perfect and so am I.
I am sporting bruises myself...also self inflicted. Let's just blame the Bunny Boiler and someone's head got in the way.
Don't know why I have the one on my chest though...
Yeah...I went beserk.
I miss you too.

 
At 8:12 am, Blogger Katie said...

Ewwwww! Blimey Stella!

Sounds like you've been in the wars a bit there but glad you got back in your chair, Bet it's still painful for you though. Hope you feel better soon and hope that by listening to the podcast on Ouch will cheer you up and make you laugh!

It helped me to feel betterafter I had been upset, so think it will help you too.

 
At 8:15 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you'll heal up soon. I also have OI and isn't it odd how doctors often make comments about the general state of one's bones after an accident without addressing the actual injuries themselves?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home