where the cornflakes are

this blog may appear to be experiencing an on-going existential crisis - it isn't quite sure whether it's about knitting, crip stuff or life in general

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Fiction

I almost called this blog Fiction, and this is why. My new favourite song from the brilliant new Lucksmiths album 'Warmer Corners' is the story of what I think is the best tattoo in the world, written by one of the best writers in the world, Marty Donald.

Written down here, gentle reader
It seems too good to be true
But there's a girl in Kansas City
With my favourite tattoo
Oh why would I lie to you?

This was in another century
Somewhere near the summer's end
The fahrenheit was frightening
I was awake the whole weekend
Invited to a barbecue
I found refuge in the kitchen
Discussing post-war US literature
With a girl whose upper arm read "fiction"
Like it might have been typewritten

I asked her its significance
She said she sometimes took reminding
What she wanted to be doing
Weather reading it or writing
I admitted admiration
For both typeface and intent
And said more softly - sotto voce -
I knew too well what she meant
She just smiled
And in a while she went

For a time I forgot this ever took place
She left her bottle on the bookcase

So though I leave you little option
But to take me at my word
I assure you, dearest listener
That it happened as you've heard
A beer left on a bookshelf
At a bygone barbecue
By a girl from Kansas City
With my favourite tattoo
Oh why would I lie to you?
Oh why would I lie to you?
Oh why would I lie?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home